Wednesday, October 1, 2014

First Crush


 “Who is the first human you ever had a crush on?” (Film/TV/pop stars included)

I saw this question on Jessica Zafra’s blog last night, and for a brief moment I was transported back to my teenage days, specifically on the day I first saw Christopher Reeve smiling from a Superman movie poster.

I stopped on my tracks, and I could feel this fatuous grin slowly breaking on my face. Frankly, I did not even know what hit me. For sure, that was not the first time I had seen a good-looking (alright, gorgeous) face -- Hollywood has been churning out drool-worthy faces and characters for decades -- and I know how studio shots (read: retouched) shots can be miles away from real life, but when I saw Christopher Reeve it was like I had stepped into a different world.

I know. That sounds rather caricaturish and dramatic, right? What else can you expect from teenager who sees things through hazy lenses?

 

My point is, I don't think I have ever seen anybody as charismatic or as good looking (well, he played and looked exactly the way Superman should, so I guess that explains my teenage fascination) as this guy, especially when you consider the fact that when the first Superman film was released Photoshop has not been even invented yet.

There have been many actors who played Superman before and after Christopher Reeve -- some better-looking than others, but in my mind he is the ultimate Man of Steel. He embodied that role like nobody else did and, in my opinion, will always be the yardstick that other Superman actors will be measured against.

No comments:

Post a Comment