Sunday, September 21, 2014

Coffee and Anime



I love coffee and anime with the same fervor. In fact, I can't imagine going through a single day without having a small dose of both. The only difference is that I have been appreciating coffee long before I ever became interested in anime.

It should therefore come as no surprise that the prospect of combining two of my favorite things will always have my undivided attention. So in this post, I am giving in to my fondness for both by focusing on scenes -- real or imagined -- featuring anime characters (a few of them look familiar, some not so much) drinking/serving coffee inside or outside a coffeehouse.





For some reason, anime girls always seem to manage to strike an elegant pose and look interesting while holding a mug of cold/hot drink -- even when they adopt a studiously solemn expression or have this far-away look in their eyes. And the guys? The guys may seem a bit more relaxed, but they are just as likely to strike a pose (with a studied air of casualness).




And then we have iconic characters from well-loved anime series such as Cowboy Bebop (man I loved that series so much) getting the coffeehouse treatment, although I don't remember seeing this particular scene in any of the episodes. I just wish they had included Spike Spiegel in this group snap though (even Ein the corgi is in the picture!). Or they could have at least left a blurry thumb in the corner to suggest that he is the one who's holding the camera.

Jet Black, Faye Valentine, Ein, and Edward (Cowboy Bebop)

What I would really love to see though is Vash the Stampede and Nicholas Wolfwood (of Trigun) calmly sipping coffee inside a cafe, with maybe Milly Thompson and Meryl Stryfe lurking in the background. Or perhaps the whole cast of Working!! drinking frappes and lattes instead of serving food for a change.

So, just for the heck of it, how do you feel about being served by a staff consisting of a panda, a polar bear, and a human (Shirokuma Cafe)?

Shirokuma Cafe (Polar Bear's Cafe)


No comments:

Post a Comment